Monday, March 8, 2010

Shame on Shaw's


Fresh food is something I think we all take for granted. I don't know if everyone knows that there are people behind getting that fresh food to your local market.

Our local mega-mart (Shaw's, formerly Stah Mahket) wants to cut the health care bene's of our local distribution center/warehouse workers. I don't think this is right or just...especially in these trying times [hopefully, a better health care system is in the works from our congressional leaders, but who the hell knows when they'll get 'round to it!]. I appreciate the market wants to show a profit...but not at a cost to the backbone of the business.

Here's the background:


Therefore, starting today...I'll stop shopping at Shaw's until this gets resolved.

Sounds from the articles that Stop-n-Shop (the other mega-mart in the area) did avoid this. I don't know about you, but I think it'd suck getting a pay/benefit cut when I'm sure there were times when the market did well, profit-wise.

The union (UFCW local 791) has more details about the strike. I recommend fellow Bostonians avoid going into your local Shaw's and try some of the other vendors in your neighborhood...maybe try picking up your groceries at several different locales. For me, I'm hoping the farmer's market in Copley Square opens soon; but, I'll take my biz to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, CVS (for detergent, cleaners, etc.) and others until the parties sort this thing out. I'm hoping the Shaw's understand they are wrong in this issue, but who knows...maybe they really don't care?

No comments:

Post a Comment