Sunday, July 19, 2009

I just realized, it's been days since I posted

So...for your reading pleasure, I present some links you may find interesting:



The HuffPost did a little notice on Farmers Markets in the country. Mostly other cities, Boston is not highlighted. I remember going with my mother on Saturdays to the West Side Market in Cleveland. Those were good times, but also good training in evaluating what you eat. The most vivid memories include:


  • The Mediterranean store in the corner that sold all sorts of olives, strange pastas, spices, cheeses and meats...and candy from all over the world.

  • The Calabrese Produce stand, specifically 2 things: on cold (and I mean below zero weather) Mr. Calabrese would add an extra orange in for us kids; second item, he ALWAYS had a great smile and a warm hello.
  • The Ehrenfeldt (Beef) Butcher...I don't know if they're still there. They don't show up on the vendor list.

I miss the interaction we used to have with our neighbors/vendors. I sort of have it with the dry cleaner woman (a brief chat about the weather...the smile and nod when she's busy...the "have a great weekend; should be nice...make sure you get out"); and, my Dunkin Donuts counter guy knows me; and, well...there are that many. Certainly, I don't have similar interaction with my fish monger/beef counter dood/veggie restocker at the neighborhood Shaw's (think about your local mega-supermarket, plunk it down in the middle of downtown and charge 10% more for everything...Hey FREE 1 HR PARKING! LOL)


I guess what I miss is called "familiarity". I think maybe I get a better product/service when I cursory "know" the person...oh well...whatever.


Topic 2 for you...I am removing the Twitter feed here...it's too annoying. But a few days ago (maybe even a week!) I showed you the free wifi spots near the Pru. The tweet didn't do them justice so I'm hoping to get better pictures. Stay tuned. For more info (the only info I found online...blerg), see here.


Last note:


If anyone cares...and there are no comments so far (so I don't know if anyone is out there)...I am going to redesign the blog a little. I'm using a standard template, and I'm bored with it. It doesn't really add anything. So I'm hoping to change it. Your input is desired, wanted, needed...etc. I'm going to have to add some more graphics and pictures...especially of lovely Boston! Stay tuned.


1 comment:

  1. I'm posting a comment, cuz I hate to see all the "0 Comments" mocking me.

    HAH!

    ReplyDelete